Review: Debt by K.C. Wells

Two months after Mitch Jenkins had the rug pulled out from under him when his two-year relationship came to an abrupt end, he is still hurting. A colleague’s attempt to cheer him up brings Mitch to a secret “club.” Mitch isn’t remotely interested in the twinks parading like peacocks, until he spies the young man at the back of the room, nose firmly in a book and oblivious to his surroundings. Now Mitch is interested.

Nikko Kurokawa wants to pay his debt and get the hell out of the Black Lounge—where he is forced to not only have sex, but sometimes suffer abuse to please clients. Earning his freedom isn’t proving easy, especially when he starts attracting interest. Life becomes that little bit easier to bear when he meets Mitch, who is nothing like the other men who frequent the club. And when Mitch crawls under his skin and into his heart, Nikko figures he can put up with anything. Before long he’ll be out of there, and he and Mitch can figure out if they have a future together.

Neither of them counted on those who don’t want Nikko to leave….


“… You’re addictive, Mr. Jenkins. And any time you want me?” He leaned in closer and whispered into Mitch’s ear. “You can have me.”

Rent boy! Dub-con! An all round sweet love story! Yep I thoroughly enjoyed this!

I thought the rent-boy theme was done really well here. It was not glorified, and not at all pretty, but it wasn’t a story about abuse. It was a love story between two people who needed each other.

Nikko is working as a whore at ‘The Black Lounge’, an exclusive whorehouse, to pay off a debt his brother accidentally accumulated.


Luckily for Nikko, Mitch is his first client.


Mitch is a high school teacher who was convinced to attend the Black Lounge for a night by a colleague. Mitch had just gotten out of a two year relationship and was feeling the need to try something new, hence him being easily persuaded.

Nikko and Mitch have an immediate connection and some super hot but gentle love-making, which makes their first encounter hard to forget. Also, Nikko’s subtle reluctance (despite claims that he’s working for the Black Lounge willingly) sets off protective instincts in Mitch.

Poor Nikko went through a lot in this book. There was no on-page abuse, but Nikko has his fair share of BDSM gone bad, rough fucking and child role-playing. My heart hurt as Nikko was starting to loose hope that he would ever get out of that place in one piece, but his moments with Mitch were a balm to the soul. Despite Nikko’s situation, this was a very sweet story. Quite insta-love, but it worked for me here.

I’m also a sucker for a large age-gap! I love it when the age-gap is noticeable, but not because the younger guy is immature. It's hard to find that mix, I’ve only read a few books that have done it perfectly. In this book, I completely forgot about the age-gap, which was good, but not what I personally like about big age-gaps.

The sex was yummy! Mitch has a pretty dirty mouth on him!


“You like that?”He repeated the action, slamming into Nikko, hard, deep thrusts that hit his gland every time. “Want to see you come from this,”he panted. “You’re gonna come without touching your dick.”He snapped his hips forward. “Fuck, I feel you. Your ass is rippling around my cock.”

There was also some switching up of the roles, with Nikko topping a few times, which I wasn’t expecting but really enjoyed.

There were a couple of reasons this lost a heart from me, one of them was the amount of scenes with Mitch's family. Whilst they were good characters, I would’ve preferred some of that time to be used on Mitch and Nikko being together. I also found myself struggling to finish the story, which brings me to my second reason. Once Nikko was freed, everything became very light and fluffy and I was ready for the HEA 20% before the end. It's dragged a bit too much to really enjoy.

This was a cute story and I really enjoyed the way the rent-boy theme was approached here. Mitch and Nikko had a lot of chemistry, but the prolonged ending fizzled what was otherwise a really excellent read for me.


Check out on Dreamspinner Press or Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment