Review: Amnesia by Sean Michael

2nd Edition

Who wouldn’t want a do over?

When Thaine wakes up in the hospital after a bull-riding injury, he immediately asks for his lover, Jerry. He has no idea who this man next to his bed is, despite the fact Drew insists they have been an item for the last five years.

Thaine’s best friend, Jesse, calls Jerry. He thinks it’s a pretty crappy thing to do to the new boyfriend, but tells himself it’s unlikely Jerry will come after so many years. He also doesn’t get why Thaine would pass up the opportunity to be with Drew since he’s young, optimistic, and hardworking. In short, everything Jesse ever wanted in a man.

Jerry still carries a torch for his cowboy, so when Thaine asks to go home with him to recover, Jerry agrees. At first they pick up their intense physical relationship right where they left it before the breakup. Jesse, in turn, consoles the now homeless Drew and offers him quite a bit more than a shoulder to cry on. But in the back of all the men’s minds loom Thaine’s lost five years.

1st Edition published by Torquere Press, 2006.



This story... I really liked the premise. I liked the overall plotline. I liked Drew and Jesse. But I did not like Thaine or Jerry.

Thaine and Jerry had good chemistry. I actually liked their relationship. I thought it worked, and that they were clearly in love, and only separate because they didn’t have the same future planned out. But they were not nice people. Their behaviour towards Drew was snippy, dismissive, and downright bitchy. Even if you don’t remember someone, you don’t treat them like they did something to you. Jerry’s attitude was even worse. I can’t say I liked his character at all. Having money does not entitle someone to be a bastard to another human being, and he was ridiculously rude to Drew. When they weren’t talking to, or about Drew, they were good together, but all that goodness was overshadowed by the unnecessary venom.

This is my first Sean Michael story, and while Sean sure knows how to write erotica, and a decent story, it just seemed like Jerry and Thaine’s relationship was all about fucking. They fucked a lot. And it was hot, absolutely. But the relationship development was stifled by all the fucking. Every time they started to talk, they’d be feeling each other up, and next thing you know, they’re fucking. Everywhere! So they didn’t really work for me. I didn’t feel the substance in their relationship, and being mean men, I didn’t like them.

Drew and Jesse, they were great. Their friendship built up slowly. I got to know them both, and enjoyed their personalities. I didn’t really see how Jesse could have been friends with Thaine all those years, because he was such a laid back, nice guy, and Thaine was behaving like a douche. I’m sure there must be something [unknown] that kept their friendship strong way back when, but I didn’t see the payoff for Jesse that would give cause to continue the friendship. Maybe because I don’t like toxic people in my own life, and I’m judging too harshly. But meh, I wanted Jesse to be done with him.

Sweet Drew took the change in circumstances like a champ. Even though he was hurt, he still accepted things were how they were. No use fighting when someone doesn’t know who you are. I liked how he reacted, and that he went and stayed with Jesse to get back on his feet.

I think if the focus on Thaine and Jerry was more about developing their relationship and working through the problems they had before they broke up, and less on being bitches to Drew and Jesse, I would have enjoyed the story a lot more. As a piece of erotica, it definitely hit the spot, but as a romance, I wasn’t convinced of their longevity.



Check out on Dreamspinner Press or Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment