Happy Hour Chat: Duck! by Kim Dare


Raised among humans, Ori Jones only discovered he was an avian shifter six months ago. Unable to complete a full shift until he reaches his avian maturity, he still can’t be sure of his exact species. 

But with species comes rank, and rank is everything to the avians. When a partial shift allows the elders to announce that they believe Ori to be a rather ugly little duckling, he drops straight to the bottom rung of their hierarchy. 

Life isn’t easy for Ori until he comes to the attention of a high ranking hawk shifter. Then the only question is, is Ori really a duck—and what will his new master think when the truth eventually comes out?

Please Note: This is the second edition of this book. It has been tweaked and re-edited, but the plot has not changed.






When Kim Dare asked if we unicorns would read her revised edition of Duck! our collective response was something like this:




MOAR ORI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ori, everyone's favorite fledgling, and possibly, sweetest boy ever is back and better if you can believe that. I wasn't sure perfection could be improved upon, but one should never underestimate Kim Dare. 

Lesson learned.

So, grab a seat and prepare to be blown away by our thorough discussion of Duck! which looks a lot like:







Breann: Ready!
Sunny: Raised among humans, Ori Jones only discovered he was an avian shifter six months ago. Unable to complete a full shift until he reaches his avian maturity, he still can’t be sure of his exact species. But with species comes rank, and rank is everything to the avians. When a partial shift allows the elders to announce that they believe Ori to be a rather ugly little duckling, he drops straight to the bottom rung of their hierarchy. Life isn’t easy for Ori until he comes to the attention of a high ranking hawk shifter. Then the only question is, is Ori really a duck—and what will his new master think when the truth eventually comes out?
Cupcake: ORRRRIIIIIIIIIII! <3 <3 <3
Sunny: lol...Ori is so sweet 
Breann: I love Ori.
SRAL: I love Ori a lot. The end.
SRAL: Great chat!
Breann: OK we're done!

Not quite. Come back here! 
Keep scrolling. There's good wine fueled squealing below and a random squirrel or two. Who wants to miss out on that? No one, that's who.



Jenni Lea: OK, I read this a loooong time ago. Tell me what is different in this new version.
Cupcake: Right? I was thinking what could I possibly say in a new review other than I <3 Ori forever n ever. The end.
Breann: I read it the first time a long time ago, too. I couldn't tell you what's different...
SRAL: I dunno. I'm midway in the newer version, though it seems a little smoother now.
Breann: But I do know that I love Ori.
Jenni Lea: I remember loving Ori when I read it too.
Sunny: Nothing major changed that I caught, but L is right, it did seem smoother.
Cupcake: I think she beefed up the world/nest building & did some more character development.
Sunny: I have a quote...
Sunny: "Every muscle in Ori’s body tensed, yet it only took him a second to alter his position, and offer his body for his master to take whatever he wanted."
Cupcake: awwwwwwwww xoxoxox ORIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!
Sunny: And Raynard wasn't too bad, either...
Sunny: “Because you belong to me and tonight you’ve earned the right to have a few extra marks to show it.”
Jenni Lea: OK, maybe I should read the new version. I'm loving these quotes!
SRAL: Yeah, some things were explained in more detail. I think some readers found Reynard mean in the first version but his thought process is clearer
Breann: “You’re not in the nest anymore. You belong to me-no one else”
SRAL: You're in the head of a Dom.
Breann: and then Raynard hooked his fingers into Ori’s collar
Sunny: loved the collar, and how they both reacted to it
SRAL: You're in the head of a sub. You understand why they react to certain situations.
Sunny: Ori's reaction to his punishment...which was perfect for him
Cupcake: The lines? I love those lines. Such a good boy.
Sunny: He was so confused by it all
Breann: but it was PERFECT
Cupcake: I think the fledgling stuff was expanded upon & why Ori was so clumsy.
Sunny: agree about the fledgling details
Jenni Lea: Yeah, I'm definitely going to read the new version
Cupcake: I think the shifter mindspace was better detailed as well.
SRAL: I'll cut a bitch if they mess with sweet Ori.
Sunny: I'm skipping ahead, but Raynard's reaction to Ori after his shift at the end was so good
Cupcake: it was. I have quotes but they're so long.
Sunny: Seeing how Ori reacted in his "wild" state
Cupcake: IT SO WAS!!!!!! I loved how nervous he was that Ori wouldn't want him the same any more & that he was willing to adjust his mindset to be w/him! AWWWWWW
Sunny: Exactly, Cupcake. It was so well done.
Sunny: It was awesome how we got Raynard's pov there.
Breann: I loved when he stood up to the crow because Raynard told him not to let anyone touch his submissive
Sunny: Yes! Breann, I loved that.
Jenni Lea: I think the lack of all you've just described in the first version is what made me only give it 3 stars. It wasn't fleshed out enough for me.
Sunny: Definitely read the new version, JL
Cupcake: I'm bad w/remember details but I think Raynard's decision to let Ori be once he shifted & WHY was better explained
Sunny: That was the WORST part of the book...I cried and cried and cried.
Cupcake: I remember thinking the first time, 'just build a bridge, dude! it's ORI!!!!!!'
Sunny: lol...I hated that in the first version, but kind of sort of understood it in this one.
Cupcake: i started to get anxious when i knew it was coming & reading Ori beg & get turned down... :(
Sunny: it hurt :(
Sunny: poor Ori :(
Breann: Hmm... it didn't hit me in the feels that hard
Breann: I love Ori, but he didn't squeeze any tears from me
Sunny: It did me, and I don't cry actual tears very often when I read.
SRAL: No tears but plenty of feels
Cupcake: I didn't cry either. I had feels though.
Cupcake: Mostly I wanted to center punch Raynard for being an idiot.
Breann: Yes. Mostly this.
Sunny: I was frustrated with him
Sunny: But he was so miserable, too
Cupcake: I'm glad I got to see/feel his misery otherwise I would've been fussy.
Cupcake: Was it just me or was Everet's part beefed up as well?
Breann: It might have been! I don't remember him from before at all
Sunny: maybe...I almost want to read the first version again to see if I can spot differences
Jenni Lea: Which one was Everet?
Sunny: Everet watched over Ori when Raynard talked to the head of the nest in the beginning
Sunny: He was also a go between later on
Breann: And he's in book 2
Cupcake: And he's the star of Magpie
Cupcake: one of
Breann: I remember enjoying Magpie more than Duck
Jenni Lea: I think I remember him in the beginning of the book but not in the end
SRAL: I didn't remember him much the first time around. I didn't read #2 yet
SRAL: Heh
Cupcake: I'm pretty sure the albatross was added to this one. Super stoked ab/that book!
Breann: Is Magpie being rereleased also?
Cupcake: I feel a big guy bottom coming my way. :D
Cupcake: it is. i think in november?
SRAL: Alright!!
Breann: I may have to reread that one as well!
SRAL: I'm not reading the old one. Going for the newer one instead.
Cupcake: I'm not big on brats but I did like all the shiny things. Kane had big shoes to fill though.
Sunny: There was an albatross in the first version, but only briefly
Jenni Lea: dafuq is an albatross?
Cupcake: Was there? Sunny's so BOSS! ;)
Sunny: lol...I kind of remembered, but checked to make sure
Cupcake: LOL! A big bird. A big bird that's getting his own book. He's in Magpie frequently.
Breann: I don't remember! But now I'm picturing Big Bird
Breann: Not sexy.
Jenni Lea: Thanks Cupcake! That explains everything
Cupcake: Big Bird Bottom? Any better visuals there?
Breann: With snuffaluffagus?
Sunny: *not visualizing big bird*
Sunny: *or snuffaluffagus*
Jenni Lea: You guys stop it! I'm traumatized now
Cupcake: Sowwy!
Sunny: I love the way Kim Dare writes submission...she really gets into motivations and reactions, and it's awesome.
Jenni Lea: OK, Imma go read duck!
Cupcake: If he turns out to not be a bottom CC going to be covered in egg. :(
Sunny: Is there a big guy bottom list?
Sunny: Do we need to start one?
Cupcake: We need a BGB list! For science.
Sunny: *not clicking*
Sunny: ok, I clicked, and laughed...
Jenni Lea: Ah! The "Mine!" bird!
SRAL: It's G rated! I would never
Sunny: lol...you so would, L!
Jenni Lea: Like in Finding Nemo
SRAL: LOL I would. I can't even type with a straight face
Sunny: thanks, B!
Cupcake: Yep. But he's described as massive? Those birds don't seem all that massive.
Breann: Welcome
SRAL: As long as we get to a ginger MC for this series. :)
Sunny: This one looks bigger  http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1250288290/97...
Breann: jinx!
Breann: not that same pic though
Breann: that would have been funny
Sunny: :)
SRAL: They are pretty big
Cupcake: Indeed. :D
Sunny: Okay, back to Ori...what else do we want to talk about the book?
SRAL: Ori is thebomb.com
Sunny: I wanted something to happen to the crows.
SRAL: Ori for Mayor!
Sunny: Ori just wants to take care of Raynard
Breann: yeah, they needed to be put in their place
SRAL: Vote for Ori!
Cupcake: I don't know if Ori would've wanted anything to happen to the crows though.
Jenni Lea: So, everyone liked the book? Would you recommend it to me?
Cupcake: He's a giving soul & now they have to live w/what they did to him & know he's a benevolent leader of the nest that they now have to respect forever & always.
Sunny: Yes, JL!
Sunny: and yes, Cupcake :)
Breann: YES. Totally read it, JL!
Jenni Lea: If I remember correctly it mainly focuses on the D/s aspect of BDSM. Right?
Cupcake: This is probably my favorite series by Kim though I do REALLY like the Worth Waiting For series too.
SRAL: Yep. And yes.
Cupcake: Yes. There is some impact stuff but it's not heavy.
Jenni Lea: and domestic discipline?
Jenni Lea: I seem to recall Ori did a LOT of cleaning, in both the nest and in whatshisname's house
Sunny: yes, he does...it's how he takes care of people
Sunny: Raynard doesn't really give him any direction in it, though
SRAL: Master/sub
SRAL: I didn't think of it as DD
Jenni Lea: Is he a kind and gentle master? Or an alphahole? I can't remember
Sunny: Very kind...
Sunny: a little reserved at first, though
SRAL: very kind, caring Dom
Cupcake: I think he's kind. I wouldn't categorize it as DD though.
Cupcake: "All Ori had to do was love being owned, and marked, and possessed by his master. Nothing Raynard could ask of him would ever be easier."
Breann: I have the quote marked, too
Sunny: me, too! and this one... “You’re stronger with your submission than without it.”
Breann: And he so was.
Jenni Lea: OK, then I think I'll do a re-read. I like the kind masters
Sunny: He was VERY protective
Breann: what'd DD?
Sunny: domestic discipline
SRAL: domestic discipline
Jenni Lea: domestic discipline
Breann: Oh! duh
Sunny: lol!
Breann: thanks x3
Cupcake: LOL! Wow.
Sunny: I think that's it, unless anyone has anything to add?
Breann: One more...
Breann: I love Ori.
Breann: K.
Cupcake: ORRRRIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!​!!!!!! <~~~~said like STELLLLLAAAAA!!!!!!!
Cupcake: The end.









If you've never read it now is the perfect time to pick it up. If you have read it the revised edition is more polished and better fleshed out and worth picking up. Plus it has Ori!

Were Raynard ever to foolishly release Ori there might be some glitter/mud/jello wrestling over him in the clubhouse.




But look how good The Stallion will look refereeing us! Wait a minute, that tutu looks familiar...

Our thanks to the author for providing a the revised edition for us to squeal over.

No comments:

Post a Comment