Group Review: Fated: Blood and Redemption (Baal's Heart, #3)


With the captain’s mind in shambles, Jon and Tom set out to find the passage home through the black mountain range, hoping to find a cure for Baltsaros’s madness. However, when the men are forced to part ways, darkness takes root in the schism created; fate, lust, and vengeance become obsessions threatening to tear apart the fragile bonds holding the three together.

Following on the heels of Sacrificed, Fated takes the pirates on a quest to find those responsible for the captain’s bloody beginnings. But can they survive what awaits them where past and present meet?









Lorix: 5 Hearts

It's all the stars from me on this one. I was so excited to review this ARC, I even put on my #TeamTom T-shirt. I could so have been setting myself up for disappointment, I'm glad to say I enjoyed every word!
"There was still a long road to recovery ahead, but he felt something he hadn't felt in a long time: hope."
We left book two with a broken Baltsaros, Jon acting as Captain and Tom trying to hold it all together. Though there is plenty of action in this story, lots of piratey ploys, I think this really concentrates on the emotional connection between the three MC's. 

Baltsaros believes he is inherently bad, that he is bad to be around and that it is not good for Jon, especially, to be around him. He doesn't know why or what is wrong with him, but the madness that he is suffering means he is a danger to everyone, particularly Jon. Where does this leave Tom? Well, frankly, jealous. Even he knows it's crazy, but to his mind Baltsaros feels so deeply for Jon that he is willing to kill him to save him. And that is pretty much the basis of this story. Unravelling, not just Baltsaros' madness and what made him that way, but the true feelings these three have for each other.
""Yeah, loving you is a real godsdamn hazard," Jon said, grinning."
I mean it's no secret the three of them are scorching in bed. Oh my god are they scorching. Tom will always have my heart, and how he submits in their sex play is so damn hot. The wildest, fiercest person on the ship and he lets it all go to be dominated sometimes. I can't tell you how hot the sex scenes are in this book - ovary exploding hot is the best I can do. I think the fact that we are seeing the emotional connection forging more - so it is both at it's weakest and it's strongest point, just adds to it. 

I like that we learn more about the captain's past, and also Tom's past in this book. It helps bring a better understanding of what makes them tick. The pain and threat of loss is ever present throughout the story and this just helps, both the MC's and the reader, understand all their tics a little more.

The story flits back and forth between present and past, revealing information as necessary. It's a difficult writing choice to pull off, but I think Bey Deckard does it really well. Everything feeds into the story, adding to it, making actions and reactions understandable. It is a beautiful way of writing.

I believe this is the last in the Baal's Heart series - however I also believe there is to be more set in this world. I hope so. I also hope HOPE hope, that we get to see Tom, Baltsaros and Jon again. These characters are going to be hard to let go.


Sunny: 5 Hearts
Fascinating story, complex characters, intense action, sweet and kinky love...this story had it all. My interest was kept the whole way through and I dreaded reaching the end.

Pirate life is not for the faint-hearted, though, and I cringed a few times while reading. Consequences of past mistakes led to unfortunate situations and although I understood the decisions that were made, I hated that any of it happened in the first place.

However, the dark times did move the story forward, and provided opportunities for reflection and growth. They were also nicely balanced by the rest of this intriguing story, especially the sweet loving and steamy times. Scenes that made me smile. And squirm.  Omg...the neediness in Tom after days of chastity *fans self* and rope play! *sigh*
Tom was beautiful in his submission.

There were crazy times, but through everything that happened, there was awesome relationship development between all three MCs. Support, patient understanding, and determination kept things on track.

Hah! Patience...that was something I needed while reading this story. I had so many questions, and I often had to wait for the answers. No continuity issues, just a slow reveal of information, sometimes in the form of flashbacks. At times, those flashbacks were abrupt and caused some confusion, but the history revealed added so much to the story. I loved getting that background, it helped me understand the characters that much more, and gave their relationships even more layers of complexity.

I can't help but think this would make an amazing movie. An epic pirate adventure and love story, focusing on the redemption of an anti-hero pirate captain.

Side note:
So excited for Saban's story!!!


SheReadsALot: 5 Hearts

Nearly a year ago, I got to meet Bey Deckard's pirates, Jon, Tom and Baltsaros. These three men were damaged, cutthroat, vulnerable, sexy and had one hell of a story to tell. The story telling was vivid, the quality was superb. Book #1, Caged cemented itself on my 2014 favorites list. I wouldn't shut up about it. Blabbed to everyone to read this book and if you haven't, seriously read this book. I felt like I got my deepest wish -I'm a bit of a pirate geek. And I never frown upon the kink. Then Book #2, Sacrificed dropped later last year, and I actually read it. (I'm not one for gobbling a series so soon these days unless I'm impressed) I came to care for these men-they were fucked up, fantasy personified, they were gritty and flawed...couldn't help being drawn to them. And now finally, the end of the trilogy..."Fated".

I had high hopes for this one. I listed things that I wanted in this book in my previous reviews: Tom, kink, more adventure and Tom. And I got them all!!


"Their relationship would continue to grow, to change. There would always be pain, and they would be tested... Their triad had the shakiest of foundations, based as it was on mistrust, jealousy, and deception. But ships didn't need pillars pounded into the earth; no, they needed strong, protective hulls that could carry them over the ever-changing waves of an uncaring sea. With trust, hope... love--all things they had built together--they could weather anything."
I didn't think it was more possible to care for these three pirates but I did after reading "Fated". Each book in this series is my favorite but for different reasons. Possible trigger warning: rape, violence.

"Fated" starts where "Sacrificed" left off, Baltsaros damaged and in need of serious TLC, Jon &Tom trying to come to terms with the changes. Their triad formed in "Caged", their foundation was built in "Sacrificed" and in "Fated"? They were tested, by each other and outside forces. But their bond was solid. (Though I'll admit to being nervous about a certain character who'll be getting their own book in the future making the triad a quadouple!) There was more action of the pirating kind. We got to truly learn the backgrounds of Tom and Baltsaros- what made them tick, what shaped them into the men they became to be. This was Baltsaros' book - we get to travel to his homeland, learn his secrets but Tom and Jon were not forgotten. They provided laughs, heart and sex.

My favorite quote (I laughed so hard and still am):
"I'm gonna ask ye ladies a question, and I bloody expect to be answered," he growled. "Who's the scoundrel been doin' some unwanted rootin' of yer cunts for pay?" 
You know what this author delivers really well? The painting a scene...I swear I smelled their smells, I saw what they saw in just a few words. The flashbacks helped provide background and set the tone for the book. Comparing the throuple in Caged to Fated, they evolved.  That is key for making a triad work for me, I need a solid bond - don't give me perfect, I don't need to read hearts and flowers and I want each person to maintain their sense of self. And the dark intertwined with story was pretty well done - glad it didn't fluff it up and stayed true to the men.

Know what else I enjoyed? The sex. Holy cock rings, Batman was that hot. ;P DP and rope bondage? Yes please. Oh! Oh! Oh! And I got two scenes besides ropes and toys that I really, really wanted more of. Hint: the not so usual bottom. I am a happy lady pirate!

I don't want to spoil because if you're reading this, you're probably down with the pirates and want to know what happens in the final showdown. There is pirate action: some thievery, battling on the sea. We get to visit favorite places.  It ends with HEA (for a minute, I was nervous we weren't going to get that). I'm so honored to have read this series and I am soooooooooooo happy about the new development. I have questions about that. I'm going to make a list. But I definitely recommend this series. This author is dope and worth a peek or three - definitely one of my great finds in 2014.

So now I go through pirate withdrawal because getting over one of my favorites of 2015 is tough.



For more information on Goodreads or Booklikes! [Release date: 4/11/15]


No comments:

Post a Comment