Review: Blue Mountain (Pack, #1) by Cardeno C.

Exiled by his pack as a teen, Omega wolf Simon Moorehead learns to bury his gentle nature in the interest of survival. When a hulking, rough-faced Alpha catches Simon on pack territory, he tries to escape what he’s sure will be imminent death. But instead of killing him, the Alpha takes Simon home.

A man of action, Mitch Grant uproots his life to support his brother in leading the Blue Mountain pack. Mitch lives on the periphery, quietly protecting everyone, but always alone. A mate is a dream come true for Mitch, and he won’t let little things like Simon’s rejections, attacks, and insults get in their way. With patience, seduction, and genuine care, Mitch will ride out the storm while Simon slays his own ghosts and Mitch’s loneliness.





Let's get a few things out of the way, shall we?

This was my very first Cardeno C.

What rock have I lived under? I know, I know.


I heard lots of things about this author, her work tends to lean toward the fluffy category, there will be a possessive MC usually and crazy antics might ensues, etc.

I like cray-cray from time to time. The fluff...not as much. But I can see why this author has a following. I don't know how to judge this on a Cardeno C. scale - I guess you'd find more use from an expert or fan if this is standard fare or not in that aspect.

For me, it was decent for shifter story. I enjoyed the key elements. There was a possessive Alpha (but on a scale on possessive heroes (I've read all types), he's kind of tame), it is sweet, fluffed out serious topic (past rape - instead of describing the event it was vaguely mentioned) - it didn't have to be detailed graphically for me but at least have the victim actually admit something happened. There's a ginger, omega which are two types of characters I love separately, together it was a nice bonus. And he was stubborn. I enjoy that too. And a big loner, gentle giant main character...*claps hands together* Oh yeah!
"Being mine doesn't mean you're a slave. It means you're mine to touch. Mine to care for. Mine to protect. Mine to know."
See, good elements.

Mitch is a twin Alpha of the Blue Mountain pack. His more charismatic brother runs the pack. However, the twins are super close and helped defeated the evil baddie alpha for good. But Mitch is gay and lonely, he's 6'7" and wants a mate. Lo and behold and little, omega outcast, Simon, is in Blue Mountain territory, the little ginger shifter has been treated horribly for most of his twenty-five years. He's been a victim of homophobia, brutalized by a gang and starved based on the omega nature and the way he smells.

The author explains it...a lot. The werewolf society, how a pack is set up, their abilities, etc. Basically, omegas are nurturers and strengthen packs, Alphas are protectors. Sometimes, I felt the explanations were too wordy. Also, Simon was a werewolf by birth. Yes, he and his mother were kicked out once he hit puberty and he lived on the pack outskirts before that but it was like he needed Mitch to explain to him about being werewolf. That part I could have done without.

Also the hokey, fluff that kind of padded the story. I'd have loved a sharper story, less sugar. However the story told...it worked for them. Mitch was patient and kind of Simon's wishes, the two can't deny their mate bond, and there's hot sex in the last 25% into a HEA. Sweet fluff paranormal.

It's a shifter sugar cookie!


"Mitch?" Simon rasped.
"Uh-huh?"
"Will you kiss me again?"
"I'll be kissing you for the rest of our lives."
Then, it hit me. This story is a literary sugar cookie, a frigging sugar cookie.
And who gets upset with a sugar cookie?


Plain, comfortable and sweet.
Just like this story...not my favorite but it'll do. I might checkout more from this series. Possibly.

For more information on Goodreads and Booklikes!

2 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with sugar cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not. Though chocolate chip will always be my first choice. ;)

      Delete