Review: Bump in the Night Anthology by Various Authors

Turn off the lights . . . and turn on your darkest fantasies.

Demon pacts. Ghostly possessions. Monsters lurking in the depths. The things that go bump in the night frighten us, but they also intrigue us. Fascinate us. Even turn us on.

Join us as fan favorites Ally Blue and Kari Gregg bring over-amorous aquatic beasts to life with their mythic twists on the Siren and the monster in the lake. Erotic horror pros Heidi Belleau, Sam Schooler, and Brien Michaels show us just how sexy scary can be with a pair of demon deals destined to curl your toes and set your heart thrashing. And literary masters Laylah Hunter and Peter Hansen weave haunting worlds where ghosts and dead lovers can touch our hearts (and other, naughtier places too . . .) and teach us lessons from beyond the grave.

By turns exciting, evocative, and exquisitely explicit, the stories in Bump in the Night are sure to scratch your sexy paranormal itch. Explore your wildest fantasies with us in this collection of dark erotic tales.





Resurrection Man by Laylah Hunter 2.5♥s 

This was a sexy and creepy little tale... and that's about it. I was confused for about 7 or 8 pages, which is a lot considering it's only 20 pages long. It took me a bit to catch what was going on and when I finally did, it was over. 

Let me get you a rundown so you're not all confuzzled when you read it. Basically, Josef takes back his dead lover from the morgue in order to resurrect him so they could be together forever. Everyone knows that when you bring someone back from the dead they are not the same as they were before. Well, neither was Josef's lover. Let the sexy times commence! 

There just wasn't enough background given or character development to make me really care about Josef and what happened to him. Meh. Next.

Mating Season by Kari Gregg 5♥s

Now we're talking! This is what I wanted from this anthology. Some tentaclesex, dubious consent and WTF is going on moments. This was just fantastic and sated all my pervy cravings. Of which I have many.

Danny has had a string of bad luck and just can't catch a break. His BFF, Keith, suggests that he take some time, relax, and go camping at the local lake where a sea-monster is rumored to live. Those silly legends are never true anyway, right?

Oh laaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwd, get me my fan! I was sweating like a sinner in church! 

So, ahem, there was in fact a sea-monster. And there was some definite tentaclesex happening.  Me likey tentacles but I don't think I've ever read tentaclesex of this caliber. It was off the charts.

I think I enjoyed this more because I didn't really know what to expect and was just as shocked as Danny with what went on. So, I'm going to leave it at this: read it.

Flesh and Song by Ally Blue 3♥s

This started out strong, really strong and I loved the concept. Noah ends up on an undiscovered island and becomes entranced by this sex-god person. He's there for an undetermined amount of time living in mindless, sexual bliss. He can't leave and can't even think beyond his lover and what he'll demand of him next.

I really liked his creepy lover and would have preferred if there was more time spent on that part of the story. Once that was over, I became uninterested in what happened to Noah. Then the ending felt rushed and left me wanting. Still, I was more than engaged in the story most of the time.

Out From Under by Brien Michaels 4♥s

That was creepy as hell! There was blood and guts and gore, severed heads rolling around and all that. It was way out of my 'normal' zone, but I really couldn't put it down.

Brent made a deal with the devil and it cost him his boyfriends life. Now, he made yet another deal to bring his boyfriend back. 

I really don't even know how to describe what was going on except that this was a clusterfuck of constant weirdness. But in a good way, a really good way. I was immediately sucked into the story and stayed that way the entire time. Oh, and there were tentacles.

Sleeping with Ghosts by Peter Hansen 2.5♥s

The idea of the story was good. There are some children who are born without souls, because of this there is a group of people who are 'called' to kill in order to take old souls. They give the old souls to the newborns so they can have a new life. Sounds kind of interesting, right?

Well, it kind of was boring. I was never connected to the main character and I did not understand why he was attracted to the ghost. He was haunted by one of his kills and then BOOM! he wanted to have sex with the ghost. Huh? Why? I don't know.

I feel like this could have been a lot better than it turned out to be and is the weakest of the bunch.

Blasphemer Sinner Saint by Heidi Belleau and Sam Schooler 4♥s

This. This one was good.

Tobias is reunited with his first love from when he was a kid. Things had not ended well between Tobias and David, so there were some bitter words that were exchanged when they met again. Ultimately, what came out of their choice words was that David was sick and wasn't going to get any better. Luckily, Tobias found someone to save David, he only had to sell a piece of his soul in return. Dun dun duuuuunnnn...

I love a good second chance romance. Every happy couple deserves another shot, right? The way it happened here might have been a little creepy and weird, but it was an HEA nonetheless, so I was sat.is.fied.

There was more of a focus on the romance in this story. There wasn't much romance or HEA time in this collection of stories and my sappy heart was starting to feel withdrawals. It was a nice way to end the anthology. 



Find on Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment